Welcome to The Friarsgate Practice
We are a thriving, enthusiastic and friendly Primary Care General Practice based in Winchester, Hampshire. Our professional and personal patient-focused care is available to the whole community of Winchester and surrounding areas via our surgeries in three locations: Weeke, Badger Farm and Kings Worthy.
In addition to our excellent team of GPs we have an in-house team of health professionals to help you with every aspect of your healthcare. A warm welcome awaits you whether you are one of our registered patients or looking to register with The Friarsgate Practice. Please call us on 01962 871730.
Pertussis (whooping cough) immunisation for pregnant women
The optimal time for vaccinating against Pertussis is 28-32 weeks gestation and vaccinating past 38 weeks pregnancy is unlikely to be as effective as antibody levels in the vaccinated woman will not peak until around two weeks after the vaccination.
> Maternity care
Research in General Practice
The Practice has registered with the Primary Care Research Network (South West) to take part in research projects. The aim of the Primary Care Research Network is to support better prevention, diagnosis and treatment of health related conditions through research in a primary care setting.
Why do research here?
Becoming a research active practice benefits everybody. It is recognised, that research helps develop better treatments and improves people's health. It can also help the development and ultimately the service provided by the Practice.
There are lots of different research studies but they can be grouped in to three types:
- Questionnaires – help us find out what would make a difference to a diagnosis or treatment
- Epidemiological – where a patient has agreed to share information held in their patient Record to allow researches to spot patterns which may help to understand illness and treatment
- Clinical trials – a patient agrees to participate in a trial to test how an intervention may help a patient and their treatment
For further information please contact Annette Young, deputy practice manager, who is coordinating the studies taking place at the Practice.
The Friarsgate Practice Patient Reference Group
The results of the 2014 patient survey are now in, thank you to all of you who have taken part. We have compared this year's responses with the results that we collected over the last few years.
> View the comparisons (PDF)
We have also compiled a Patient Participation report that includes details such as of the formation of the Friarsgate PRG, areas of priority agreed by the PRG, survey methods, suggested areas for change.
The Friarsgate Practice 'Virtual' Patient Reference Group (PRG) is always pleased to have new members.
If you would like to join either the main or the virtual PRG, please let us know by printing out and completing the form that you can access here:
> PRG Member Questionnaire
You can return it by attaching it to an email and sending it to:
Alternatively, if you prefer, drop it in to us at any of our surgeries or post it to us.
Healthwatch is the new independent consumer champion created to gather and represent the views of the public. It exists in two distinct forms – local Healthwatch and Healthwatch England, at national level. The aim of local Healthwatch is to give citizens and communities a stronger voice to influence and challenge how health and social care services are provided within their locality.
Local Healthwatch has taken on the work of the Local Involvement Networks (LINks) and also:
- represents the views and experiences of people who use services, carers and the public on the Health and Wellbeing Boards set up by local authorities
- provides information and signposting to people about local health and care services, how to access them and how to find their way round the system
- reports concerns about the quality of health and social care services to Healthwatch England, which can then recommend that the Care Quality Commission take action
Write (free) to:
Winchester SO23 8SR
Telephone: 01962 440 262